Join your fellow District 5160 Rotarians at the Resort at Squaw Creek, a 4-star resort in the stunning Olympic Valley of Lake Tahoe. Explore our district’s past, present, and future, while enjoying fun-filled fellowship in everything from hiking, golf, and more to a 1950s themed Homecoming social. It’s a family friendly weekend and we encourage you to visit https://conference.rotary5160.org/ to learn more and register today!
The volunteer project for the week was food sorting at the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano located at 4010 Nelson Ave. in Concord. The turn out was great, we had 28 people. Over 4 1/2 tons of fruit and vegetables were bagged on Monday.
- 1,180 pounds of squash
- 3,553 pounds of plums
- 2,115 pounds of apples
- 1,492 pounds of pears
- 687 pounds of oranges
- 9,068 pounds of fruit and vegetables!!
Please join us for our next volunteer project! Here are the benefits of volunteering and giving back:
💥 Gain confidence
💥 Make a difference
💥 Meet people
💥 Be part of a community
💥 Learn new skills
💥 Take on a challenge
💥 Combats depression
💥 helps counteract the effects of stress, anger, and anxiety
💥 Makes you happy & feel good
💥 Provides a sense of purpose
💥 Have fun❣️
“There will be no scurvy in the valley!”
- In 2018, 3361 pounds of various fruit was picked by the Concord-Diablo Rotary Club and another 2952 pounds was picked in working with the Boys Scouts;
- Gleaned fruit is immediately taken to Share Food Pantry, The Salvation Army, Monument Crisis Center, and/or Contra Costa and Solano Food Bank;
- The fruit is consumed with in 48 hours of gleaning;
- If you have a fruit tree that needs picking, contact Glean Queen Brigitte Ross at RossyBerg2313@gmail.com or EdiBirsan@gmail.com.
- There is NO scurvy in the valley!
- Bowling Bash – raised $4,500
- Pancake Breakfast – raised $2,500
- Giving Wednesday
- The club members volunteered over 132 hours (we began reporting in September). That is over 16 – 8 hour days or 5.5 – 24 hour days.
- Cambridge Child Development Center Christmas Giving – each child received a donated gift from the Concord-Diablo Rotary along with a visit from Santa.
- 2018 Super Bowl Party – Eagles beat the Patriots!
- Camp Venture – Camp Venture is a five day training and motivational camp for students who have finished their junior year and are interested in pursuing a career in business, particularly as entrepreneurs. It is held in late June at St. Mary’s College in Moraga, find more info on https://www.calofficecleaning.com/. Students, sponsored by their local Rotary Clubs, have the opportunity to interact with experienced business people and meet with other students in District 5160 who have similar interests. As a Vocational Avenue Service project, Camp Venture sponsorship provides your club with the opportunity to build closer ties with students at your local high school and to demonstrate Rotary’s commitment to youth.Thank you for your continued support of Camp Venture.
- Bocce Ball with the Martinez Rotary
- Channel 7 News Tour and Dinner – Rocky & Lauren, Jeannette & Per, Rico and Patricia, so much fun!
Exchange Student Visit – Joe from Japan.
- Rocky & Lauren Gernhardt – Beautiful baby Audrey was born May 19, 2018
- Edi & Carol Birsan celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary on December 27, 2018
- Our own Edi Birsan was the 2018 Mayor of Concord
Rotarian, Al Browning joined the Club in 1990. On February 12, 2019, Al will be 85 years old.
Beri Kasper joined the Club in 1992.
Karen Mahshi joined the Club in 1993.
Congratulations to the Rotary Club of Concord Diablo for a job well done!
Our “famed Picker Squadron” has been recognized again, specifically with a photo of Erin McGregor & Beri Kasper in the Concord Transcript’s Good Neighbor column. Thanks to reporter Lois Grassi, we have a scan of the clip.
Actually, it was a banner week for Concord-Diablo Rotary in the news, as Karen Mahshi‘s photo was also featured in an article about the3 Northern California Herb Society of America.
Congratulations to Erin, Beri and Karen!
Don’t forget we have picking opportunities 7/12 & 7/13!