Such a great success is the Picker Squadron that there has been no cases of scurvy in Concord since the Squadron’s inception six years ago and over 24 tons collected and distributed!
With the thanks to Nancy Glenfield, Kathy Lafferty, Edi Birsan and Mary Rae Lehman who turned out the afternoon of Saturday, February 28th, we were able break 3,000 lbs so far. A GREAT start when you consider that for our whole first year 5 years ago we did just over 2000lbs.
- Karen Mahshi 102 lbs to the Food Bank on Saturday
- Edi Birsan Junior 190 lbs to Food Bank on Saturday
- Edi Birsan Senior 200 lbs to Homeless Shelter Sunday/and for Crisis Center Monday
- Karen Vales and Wendy Moore 80-100 lbs
- Beri Kasper and Laura Swanger 260 lbs
Ace Picker Karen Mahshi reported, “Craig Rossi and his co-worker at Bayside Insulation Ryan joined me at the Blackwell home in Walnut Creek. We picked 125 pounds of Valencia oranges. I found that the oranges could not easily be pulled off, so I had Ryan hold the gleaner (picker pole) underneath an orange while Craig used my long-handled pruner to cut the stem. I removed the stem & leaves attached to the orange and put the fruit in bags. This was definitely a 3-person project.